Saturday, January 9, 2010

Review: The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

Ummmmm.... I didn't get it.
It was visually pleasing, but yeah. I didn't get it.



Ok it's Gilliam of Monty Python and Baron Munchausen and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas... and Norman tells me, a brilliant screenplay called Brazil... none of which, come to think of it, I have seen. Maybe that should have been my first clue!

Lisa says some reviewer said that you need to watch the movie twice to understand it.
But I figure I won't, for the same reason I won't ever take a mensa test. I'm not willing to pay the price of another ticket for the pleasure of finding out exactly how dense I am. It's self preservation, really.

I must, however, point out that Christopher Plummer is as recognisable as the first time I saw him in The Sound of Music. That, and that the timbre of his voice has *not* degraded any since then either. Still sends that sliver of pleasure down my spine.

Please be to telling me if you have answers to the following questions:

  1. Who the hell was the 5th soul??
  2. If Valentina was the 5th soul, then why didn't she die like the rest of them who got blown up? OR... did NONE of those who got blown up actually die?
  3. Did Parnassus lose Valentina as punishment for killing Tony? And if so, was Parnassus himself the 5th soul?
  4. What happened to Anton?

This movie was too much like hard work. SIGH.

0 comments: