Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Patrick Swayze dies of cancer

Patrick Swayze died today in LA after battling pancreatic cancer for nearly 2 years. He was 57.

"Patrick Swayze passed away peacefully today with family at his side after facing the challenges of his illness for the last 20 months," said a statement released last night by his publicist, Annett Wolf.

I remember him best from Ghost, which of course, made me cry. Several news articles quote his famous line: "It's amazing, the love inside. You take it with you."

Even while undergoing chemotherapy, he put in long hours on the television cable drama The Beast, claiming, "When the statistics say you're a dead man? You go to work."

Of Dirty Dancing, I remember more that he wrote "She's Like the Wind" (for his wife). He was Hillarious in "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar". I've never seen City of Joy, but I think I'll put it on my list for the upcoming holiday.

0 comments: