Monday, May 23, 2011

1 ipad2

I managed to get iTunes to upload all my epub ebooks so I'm Really happy with iBooks, even though they don't really have a lot of free books in the store. I can basically read anything that I want, and the GUI is completely intuitive. Next will be to uplaoad some of the badly done ebooks I have to see how it handles poor conversion - will the ToC work, etc.
These are tiny, miniscule details though.

Out of the box, it's lighter than the iPad, and the dimensions are pleasing. It is heavier than a book though, and I suspect that will be my pet peeve. A peeve I will counter by reminding myself that though it is heavier than the average book, it is MUCH LIGHTER than the 7000 books I could potentially load into it. And I can view manga. :) And it's backlit, so I can read in a bus/car/dark room without external lighting.

The speaker (yes, singular) on the iPad2 isn't bad. Video renders smoothly, and audio doesn't crackle even at max volume. Placing the iPad2 onto the table does boost volume & sound quality a little a it uses the surface to resonate & bounce sound. If you get a case that wraps around the whole ipad, this feature is rendered useless.

The mic is ok, but it would have to be because there is no port for an external mic. You'd need to get bluetooth headset c/w mic & sync that, blah blah blah. (Please see previous rant on how Apple makes you pay for EDT:Every Damn Thing).

The best feature I've found so far is the double click on the menu button, bringing up the task bar. This enables you to close the programs that you've previously minimized & frees up cache & RAM for other apps.

0 comments: